Sunday, May 5, 2013

Chamoritta Dancer

     What influences me to paint a subject? That is a very broad question to answer but one I have to keep in mind once in awhile. I think the answer to this question can be continually evolving. I don’t always exist in the same place and neither can my thoughts. For now my purpose in choosing a subject to paint is to look for ways to express something about the local culture and its surrounding landscape. Studying other artists work to learn about techniques and styles influences how I approach painting but it does not help me to create my own inner voice. My creative expressions are influenced through my own explorations and participation in the community. There is an excitement with discovering and learning about what surrounds me as much as transferring those experiences to the painting paper.    Island dance is filled with rhythmic chants that tell stories about the cultural past. I have been fortunate to experience many of the Guam festivals and see the beautiful dances and costumes. At these festivals it is noticeable even the distinction in costume among each of the various islands. I happened to see the Micronesian Festival for the past few years which excited me to paint “Chamoritta Dancer”. The young girl in this painting is focused and ready to begin her dance performance. Her inner pride in sharing her cultural heritage is felt while viewing all her dance movements. I chose to include the ocean reef in the background because I felt it lent an extension in expressing the island location."Chamorrita Dancer"15 x 22 watercolor©2013 Kathleen RuttenW.I.P. photos- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.511594662218192.119883.476641359046856&type=3
Source:http://kathleenruttenwatercolors.blogspot.com/2013/01/chamoritta-dancer.html

Chamoritta Dancer Images

... Hafa Adai, Chamorrita Dancer, Guam and Marianas Design - 69x70 Inches
(887 x 900 - 163.32 KB - jpeg)

Ashly susim (ASHLyy) on Myspace
(1024 x 935 - 105.55 KB - jpeg)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(247 x 328 - 10.10 KB - jpeg)

No comments:

Post a Comment